Dryhavich's Community Application

This is where all old applications will be kept for reference purposes.

Moderators: Patches, Moderators

Dryhavich
Austrógáuts Airmanis
Austrógáuts Airmanis
Location: If you know, then it is likely that I know where you are.

Dryhavich's Community Application

Postby Dryhavich » Mon May 12, 2014 6:56 am

How did you discover Edge of Perspective?

Well, I first heard about Edge of Perspective more than a year ago, all the way back when I was on the LetsDanmaku community on Fanfiction.net. The folks over there were going on about how it was an “extremely strict RP community” and “they have such high standards over there”. At the time, I was not all that versed in Touhou RP, and I was also engrossed in more mundane RP over at LetsDanmaku, so I had no intention of joining Edge of Perspective at that time. Nevertheless, I did take a gander at all of the cool things on the still-developing EoP wiki, and found the creativity that people put into their character backstories, abilities, and general profiles to be really awesome. By the time I shambled over to G:ES, (where I usually am at present) I had a boatload of RP experience, so I felt much more confident about joining more serious communities. Accordingly, I decided that I wanted to be part of a roleplaying community that was very serious, and roleplayed more frequently than the ones I was usually on. So, fairly recently, I decided to become acquainted with the Edge of Perspective folk. I was pleasantly surprised to see that a lot of people here are excellent writers, mythology buffs, and budding historians, among other things. Then, that led me to writing this app here, because I just wanted to be part of it all. How’s that for a meta-comment?

When did you discover Touhou?

Initially, I discovered Touhou on a whim almost three years ago. My sense of humor often compels me to watch some obnoxious youtube videos, so my first encounter with Touhou was sort of meme-related, on a video. I had no idea what sort of fandom those videos were referring to, but after I saw said fandom recurring repeatedly in certain places, I wanted to find out what sort of media these characters were from. Lo and behold, I found these characters to be from a game called Touhou, where you had to dodge barrage after barrage of bullets known as “danmaku”. I wanted to play these games, since I had always loved bullet hell, though I somehow forgot about them for a few months. After meeting someone who was extremely good at playing the Touhou games, he eased me through the more difficult aspects, and even began to introduce me to the canon. I became obsessed with playing the games, and got quite good at them with months of practice. However, I eventually decided that I should, perhaps, become versed in some of the more detailed aspects of the Touhou canon. Thus, I migrated onto a community known as LetsDanmaku on fanfiction.net, and I became acquainted with people that I spoke to frequently. The folks there assisted me greatly in giving suggestions about what works to read, what was and was not generally accepted, roleplaying and much more. Fast-forward about a year, and I’d find myself fully engrossed in the Touhou roleplaying community.

Who is your favorite Touhou character?

Who is my favorite Touhou character, you ask? What a difficult question that is, indeed… there are so many good characters that exist in the Touhou universe. Honestly, that would be down to three: Mononobe no Futo, Patchouli Knowledge, and Watatsuki no Yorihime. Futo is one of my top three because she sticks to her cultural roots in the face of changing times, which is something that I respect highly. Patchouli is on the list because I have always had an interest in strong, intelligent mages. Finally, Yorihime is added to the list because I find her ability to channel the very gods for power absolutely marvelous. You cannot get much cooler than that, in my opinion.

If you could RP as any Touhou Character, who would it be and why?

If I could RP as any Touhou character, it would certainly be Mononobe no Futo. The greatest reason for this is because I absolutely love employing archaic speech and grammar styles, similar to the “word-weaving” of old poets, in my roleplaying. I love old cultures, and since Futo hails directly from Japan at roughly the start of its Iron Age, playing as her is certainly fitting. In addition to this, as I mentioned earlier, Futo adopts a sort of “clinging to the old ways while still in modern times” philosophy, in terms of her cultural practices and her speech. All of these traits would make her extremely fitting for me to roleplay as.

Do you understand that this community is intended to be of a respectable quality?

Of course. I certainly have heard of the reputation that this community has carved out for itself among Touhou roleplaying communities, and have been in communities that are just as strict or perhaps even stricter for many different roleplaying topics. I truly enjoy the fact that there are groups like this that are willing to take roleplaying to a much more refined level, and hope that this group stays as such.

As an individual, what do you intend to bring to the Roleplaying experience?

As an individual, I plan to uphold the respectable quality that this community has worked so hard to earn. I have a very good amount of roleplaying experience under my belt already, and I plan to employ that greatly. My knowledge of specific aspects of mythology, history, and a bunch of other things shall be utilized well in roleplaying. Finally, I am willing to assist those who are not as accustomed to highly organized, systematic, and refined forms of roleplaying.

Any information, past experiences, qualifications, notes, etc.:

I have already mentioned my past experiences pertaining to Touhou roleplaying, though I should also mention some of my other roleplaying experience: for instance, I was part of a rather hardcore RP community for an anime/manga known as Soul Eater in the past, and held my own among people who were fanatical about novel-like, highly detailed roleplaying posts, as well as character profiles that were as detailed and coherent as possible. Over on fanfiction.net, I’m part of a small medieval roleplaying group with fairly strictstandards in its posting. Anyways, with that said, I should mention what I specialize in: I am a Northern/Central/Eastern European pre-Christian mythology, military history, and general cultural history buff. I am also obsessed with European Iron Age and 13th century living history (I literally own and make clothing, armor, and equipment that could place me in a village or a battlefield in those times). I have seen that some people here have added their knowledge of history and mythologies of different parts of the world into their Touhou character profiles here, so perhaps I shall do the same in the future by making an OC that is based off of something from the mythology I specialize in, and have it fit in Gensoukyou? Ohh… the possibilities… I simply cannot wait to discuss this when I have more time after my finals are over and I’m back home in June. Cheers!
Last edited by Dryhavich on Mon May 12, 2014 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cattle die, kindred die,
Every man is mortal:
But the good name never dies
Of one who has done well

-Havamal 76
Firefluff
Senior Admin
Senior Admin
Location: Somewhere I probably shouldn't be. When I'm not there, you can find me on the IRC

Re: Dryhavich's Community Application

Postby Firefluff » Mon May 12, 2014 7:05 am

As I mentioned on the IRC, I don't have the power or authority to fully accept this application, but I see no problems here and it is much better than the majority of applications that we do get, so I'm going to go ahead and rubber stamp this for approval. Well done~
null
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Postby null » Mon May 12, 2014 5:13 pm

Marked for acceptance.
"An honest scowl over a dishonest smile, expressive ranting over silent fuming; for if you let a person go on thinking they are pleasing you, then all they'll learn is how to annoy you more."

cxl
Administrator Emeritus
Administrator Emeritus

Postby cxl » Tue May 13, 2014 11:55 am

Accepted.
sudo rm -rf --no-preserve-root /

Return to “Application Archive”